Inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nose can cause swelling and congestion of the nasal passages. Nasal congestion hinders breathing, leads to the build-up of thick mucus, causes a frequent desire to blow the nose; disturbs sleep and causes snoring. In short, nasal congestion can have a negative impact on daily life.1,2
There are many common causes of nasal congestion, including:1,2
- Upper respiratory viral infections (common cold or flu)
Of these, the common cold is one of the most common causes, and can affect adults around two to four times per year, and young children around six times per year. Nasal congestion is the most common symptom among common cold sufferers.1,2
What is a nasal spray?
Nasal decongestant spray can be used to relieve congestion, for example to manage the symptoms of allergic rhinitis and persistent rhinitis.3
The product is sprayed directly into the nostrils.
Nasal sprays vary in shape and size, but the technique remains the same and instructions will come with the product. You will need to prime the nasal spray if you have not used it before, or if you have not used it for two weeks. Please make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions.3
*These instructions are for Otrivin Adult. Instructions may differ depending on the product.
1. Do not cut the nozzle. The metered dose spray is ready to prime before use.
2. Clear your nose.
3. Remove protective cap.
4. Before using for the first time, prime the pump by actuating 4 times. Once primed, the pump will normally remain charged throughout regular daily treatment periods. If the spray is not ejected during the full actuation stroke, or if the product has not been used for longer than 7 days, the pump will need to be reprimed with 4 actuations. Be very careful not to spray in the eyes or mouth.*
5. Hold the bottle upright with thumb under base and nozzle between two fingers.
6. Lean forward slightly and insert the nozzle into the nostril. Spray and breathe in gently through the nose at the same time.
7. Repeat with the other nostril.
8. Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing back the cap right after use.
9. To avoid possible spread of infection, the spray should only be used by one person.
If symptoms persist for more than three days, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Only one person should use each pack to avoid the spread of infection.
Otrivin comes in a wide range of products. For a way to clear your nose, try the Otrivin Seawater range.